Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

games- as real as your life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyoEfwxmevU

michael highland
games


an excerpt from Michael Highland's film "As Real as Your Life."



From an early age I learned to invest myself emotionally in what unfolded before me on screen.Today, after 20 years of watching TV geared to make me emotional, even a decent insurance commercial can bring tears to my eyes. I am just one of a new generation that is growing up. A generation who may experience much more meaning through video games than they will through the real world. Video games are nearing an evolutionary leap, a point where game worlds will look and feel just as real as the films we see in theatres, or the news we watch on TV. And while my sense of free will in these virtual worlds may still be limited, what I do learn applies to my real life. Play enough video games and eventually you will really believe you can snowboard, fly a plane,drive a nine-second quarter mile, or kill a man. I know I can.
Perhaps there is a single part of our brain that holdsall of our gut instincts, the things we know to dobefore we even think. While some of these instincts may be innate, most are learned, and all of them are hardwired into our brains. These instincts are essential for survival in both real and virtual worlds.Only in recent years has the technology behind video games allowed for a true overlap in stimuli. As gamers we are now living by the same laws of physics in the same cities and doing many of the same things we once did in real life, only virtually.Consider this -- my real life car has about 25,000 miles on it. In all my driving games, I've driven a total of 31, 459 miles. To some degree I've learned how to drive from the game. The sensory cues are very similar. It's a funny feeling when you have spent more time doing something on the TV than you have in real life. When I am driving down a road at sunset all I can think is, this is almost as beautiful as my games are.

No comments: