The mind boggles: Mobile phone users have given some wacky excuses when claiming insurance on handset
By WILLIAM COOK
It takes a lot to separate some people from their phones, but these excuses used to claim insurance on lost or broken handsets really make the mind boggle.
Website mobileinsurance has listed some of the most far-fetched claims it has received in the last twelve months, including phones baked into cakes, flushed down loos, and lost inside cows.
They have investigated every single one and many of the most bizarre claims were accepted.
TOP TEN CRAZIEST CLAIMS
- But a cow in Devon was probably as shocked as its owner when the farmer lost his iPhone up its rear end. He was using the torch to help him deliver a calf.
- A couple on a cruise tried to photograph themselves re-enacting the 'I'm the king of the world' scene from the movie Titanic, but lost their phone over the side.
- A Bristol woman in her twenties shamelessly told insurers that she'd worn out the vibrate function on her BlackBerry Bold 9900 by using it as an 'adult toy'.
- One Liverpool girl in her twenties found out her boyfriend had been cheating on her and threw her HTC Desire X at him, but it hit the wall.
- A lady from Nottingham said she'd baked her phone into her daughter's birthday cake. She claimed the Nokia 630i fell into the Victoria sponge mixture and had not survived the heat of the oven.
- Bovine blunder: A Devon farmer claimed to have lost his phone inside a cow while delivering a calf
- Meanwhile a frugal fan wanted to go to a Blur concert in Hyde Park without paying for a ticket. He ended up dropping his new iPhone whilst trying to film it from a tree.
- A builder using the toilet lost his iPhone 4S after it fell out of his back pocket. He only realised after flushing.
- One dog-walker claimed a bird had bagged her blower on Barry Island beach in Wales.
- A pyrotechnician suffered another workplace accident while putting on a show at the National Fireworks Championships in Plymouth. It was only as the smoke cleared that he realised he'd left his iPhone 3GS in the 'blast zone'.
t he realised he'd left his iPhone 3GS in the 'blast zone
'More exotic animals also seem to take an interest in phones, as a man in his thirties found out in the monkey enclosure at Longleat Safari Park, Wiltshire..
John Lamerton, the insurer's managing director said: 'Judging by these claims, you really never know what you might need to claim for. My advice would be to just use the phone as a phone.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222879/I-lost-phone-inside-cow--Britains-weirdest-mobile-phone-insurance-claims.html#ixzz2BxtqEFdC
Only the pyrotechnician and the Blur fan had their claims rejected by the company.