Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

love letters -Dylan Thomas

The Love Letters of Dylan Thomas
Dylan Marlais Thomas (1914 –1953)
 was a Welsh poet and writer.

 Hotel Chelsea 
New York 
May 7th 1953 
O Caitlin Caitlin Caitlin,
 my love my love, where are you & where am I and why haven't you written and I love you every second of every hour of every day & night. I love you, Caitlin. In all the hotel bedrooms I've been in in this two weeks, I've waited for you all the time. She can't be long now, I say to my damp miserable self, any minute now she'll be coming into the room: the most beautiful woman on the earth, and she is mine, & I am hers, until the end of the earth and long long after. Caitlin, I love you. Have you forgotten me? Do you hate me? Why don't you write? 
Two weeks may seem a small time but to me it's old as the hills & deep as my worship of you.... And in two weeks I've travelled all over the stinking place, even into the deep South: in 14 days I've given 14 readings... I'm coming back, by plane, on the 26th of May, & will tell you later just when the plane arrives. Will you meet me in London?.... 
I love you, I want you, it's burning hell without you. I don't want to see anybody or talk to anybody, I'm lost without you. I love your body & your soul & your eyes & your hair & your voice & the way you walk & talk. And that's all I can see now: you moving, in a light... 



In April 2004, the earliest surviving love letter written by Dylan Thomas to his future wife fetched more than £12,000 pounds at auction in New York.
The poet's letter to Caitlin Macnamara was sold at Sotheby's for nearly four times its estimated value.

The First Love... and Afterward

The first letters in this book are written to Pamela Hansford Johnson, who's described as "Dylan's first love, and a major female figure in his life." His letters offer a look into his frustration with writing, as he says, "The old fertile days are gone, and now a poem is the hardest and most thankless act of creation." He feels pain and muscle contractions as he attempts to drag "some connected words that will explain how the starry night of the dead is seen..."
 In spring 1936, Thomas met Cailin (wiki)
Caitlin, darling, darling... 

And Death Shall Have no Dominion" by Dylan Thomas

No comments: