Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

wikipedia knows nothing plus -else-more than Socrates

When ignorance is a bliss, or is it not? 
Have we ever heard of a witty, childish paradox?



Have you ever browsed randomise on the wikipedia?
We did. We reached a nice entry by serendipity: 


"I know that I know nothing" or "I know one thing: that I know nothing", sometimes called the Socratic paradox, 

Related to  a question we read in two sources “spoken words in two characters from Xenophon's or Plato's works:

 Socrates (Xenophon) or  Chaerephon (Plato)
is said to have posed to thePythia, the oracle of Delphi, in which the Oracle stated something like Socrates is the wisest  = "No-one is wiser than him"


The phrase, originally from Latin:
"ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat",[2])
is a possible paraphrase from a Greek text.
It is also quoted as "scio me nihil scire" / "scio me nescire".[3]
 It was laterback-translated to Katharevousa Greek as
 "[ἓν οἶδα ὅτι] οὐδὲν οἶδα", [èn oîda óti] oudèn oîda)
classico
 ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα, hèn oîda hóti oudèn oîda;


Somebody was interested in seeing the Socrates famous quote in various versions or various languages. We know the quote is “I know one thing, that I know nothing”. It is simplified as “I know that I know nothing”.
However, there are various translations of the original ancient Greek Word

 ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα hèn oîda hóti oudèn oîda.
        
        browsing the internet .... these various translations were found.
  • “As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.”
  • “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
  • “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
  • “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”
  • “To know, is to know that you know nothing.”
  • “I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.”
  • “One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing.”
  • “True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.” 

 The more quotes we read, the greatest the wonder and his influence in Beauty, philosophy and virtue: Socrates KANT be as WILDE as LAO-TSE! Judge by yourself.... with JOBS:



However, in Apology, Plato relates that Socrates accounts for his seeming wiser than
any other person because he does not imagine that he knows what he does not know.
[…] ἔοικα γοῦν τούτου γε σμικρῷ τινι αὐτῷ τούτῳ σοφώτερος εἶναι, ὅτι ἃ μὴ οἶδα οὐδὲ οἴομαι εἰδέναι.

[Then I have seemed at least than this [person] at any rate with this little something itself to be wiser: because that which I may not have known-through-seeing in no way I imagine myself to have known-through-seeing.]

The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as I know that I know nothing stems from the fact that Plato's Socrates is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that he cannot know anything with the absolute certainty of seeing. 


Socrates also deals with this phrase in Plato's dialogue Meno when he says:[10]
καὶ νῦν περὶ ἀρετῆς ὃ ἔστιν ἐγὼ μὲν οὐκ οἶδα, σὺ μέντοι ἴσως πρότερον μὲν ᾔδησθα πρὶν ἐμοῦ ἅψασθαι, νῦν μέντοι ὅμοιος εἶ οὐκ εἰδότι.


[So now I do not know what virtue is; perhaps you knew before you contacted me, but now you are certainly like one who does not know.]
(trans. G.M.A. Grube)


    == 000 =====  0 =====  000   =====

PS: In other words.... 

TIANWEI shows some of his skills at calligraphy in Catalonia, 

"Writing Beauty", a forgotten art.

To know more about the text, see link below:



2-VID 1-socrates:  ________________  https://vimeo.com/131714875

2-VID-201master said: _____________ https://vimeo.com/131715315

4-in progress-WA0008   _______ https://vimeo.com/131715134

4-compared panels- WA0009 ___ https://vimeo.com/131715270


No comments: