Search This Blog

Thursday, December 21, 2017

WR_rs02_ from Q to A to Essay_The Twelve Labours of Carlos


Why not start at a Reading questionnaire to prepare my writing assignment?

by Carlos Ortega


1. Favorite childhood book?
It was a book about short Greek myths, I don’t know the exact name right now but it was certainly very interesting.   
2. What are you reading right now?
I am reading a book about spies during the Spanish Civil War called “Falcó” by Arturo Pérez Reverte. It is a fantastic book for the ones who like that type of books ,fictions based on historical events.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
The last book I have requested was “The Godfather” by Mario Puzo, a Crime fiction.
4. Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?
I prefer to read one book at the time, because I prefer to enjoy one hundred percent a book instead of starting a new one.
5. Favorite place to read?
My favorite place to read is my bed, because it is comfortable and you can read quietly.  In summer on a bench.
6. What is your policy on book lending?
I don’t usually lend books, but when I do it my policy is just one simple rule: the book must be returned in the same conditions that I lent it.
7. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No, I rarely do that, but when I do it is for remarking a good phrase of the book

8. What makes you love a book?
The time period where the story is set and the characters
9. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
The personal likes of the person that I want to recommend the book
10. Favorite genre?
I really like historical fictions and crime fiction.
11. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year?
I didn’t read any inspirational books because I prefer novels to self-help books.
12. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I only read critics when I finish a book that I liked 
13. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel fine, because I think that giving bad reviews helps the writer to improve his style and make him understand his mistakes.
14. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
I would chose English or German, but more likely English because I personally have a better English level than a German one.
15. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
They are certainly Edgar Alan Poe’s stories because they are creepy and murky. It’s better not to read them before going to bed!
16. Favorite fictional character?
Capitan Alatriste, the main character of the trilogy with his name by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. An obscure but epic character.
17. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
One or two months, because at high school we have to read several books, at least 2 each quarter.
18. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
People chatting around and my mobile phone sound
19. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Unfortunately the adaption of “Capitan Alatriste”, a book that I really like but the film was disappointing because the main character, who was Viggo Mortensen, looked great but his Spanish accent was terrible, personally I think that the director should have dubbed his voice.
20. the most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Maybe 50 € but I don’t usually buy books at bookstores, I usually buy them on Amazon because they are less expensive there.
21. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes, I organize them according to their time period, the books that for instance if  their plot takes action in Ancient Times the will be the first and the books based on the present are the last ones.

-->
22. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I prefer to keep them, in order to reread them later.

The Twelve Labours of  Carlos
My growing experience as a grown-up reader
My favorite childhood book was a book about short Greek myths, I don’t know the exact name right now because I gave away it to my little cousin, but it was certainly very interesting and made me feel interested in history and mythology. The majority of the stories were an adaptation of the classical Greek epics, such asJason and the Argonauts”,The Twelve Labours of Heracles” and the one I liked the most:The Odyssey”. The book also contains the Greek god’s stories and ancient myths that tried to explain how the world works.
Nowadays I am reading a book about spies during the Spanish Civil War called “Falcó” by Arturo Pérez Reverte. It is a fantastic book for the ones who like that type of books, I am referring to  fictions based on historical events. Nevertheless I have just read “Crónica de una muerte anunciada” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, a non-linear story told by an anonymous narrator who explains   the facts that lead to the assassination of the main character, Santiago Nasar.
 Regarding myself as a reader, I prefer to read one book at the time, because I prefer to enjoy one hundred percent a book instead of starting a new one and mixing the plots. I rarely write in the margins of a book, but when I do it is for remarking good phrases from the book. I organize the books according to their time period, the books that for instance  if their plot takes action in Ancient Times will be the ones that go first and the books based on the present are the last ones. If I could read in a foreign language I would chose English or German, but more likely English because I personally have a better English level than German one. It really annoys me when I am reading and people are chatting around and when my mobile phone sounds. The longest that  I’ve gone without reading is one or two months , because at high  school we have to read several books , at least 2  per quarter, so I consider that I read regularly . I usually buy books on Amazon because they are less expensive than the ones from bookstores
I really like historical fictions and crime fictions, for instance my favorite character Capitan Alatriste, the main character of the trilogy with his name written by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. An epic but obscure character. Unfortunately ,  the adaption of “Capitan Alatriste” was disappointing from my point of view  because the main character , who was played by  Viggo Mortensen, looked great but his Spanish accent was terrible , personally I think that the director should have dubbed his voice. I don’t like creepy stories because I think that too obscure and murky, for instance the most intimidating books I ‘ve ever read are the ones  by Edgar Alan Poe, It’s better not to read them before going to bed ! The last book I have requested at the library was “The Godfather” by Mario Puzo, a Crime fiction, I have watched the film and it became my favorite film since then, so I will be very interested in reading the original book and comparing both.
My favorite place to read is my bed, because it is comfortable and you can read quietly.  But in summer I would rather sit on a bench , under a sun umbrella at my garden than staying at home, but in both cases I love reading while I am listening to music. Moving to sources of inspiration, I only read critics when I finish a book that I liked, and I found that giving constructive reviews is not negative, it helps the writers to improve their style and make them understand his mistakes.
-->
Finally, I want to say that I prefer to keep the books that I read, because I am one of those people that likes rereading the books, but in case I liked a lot a book I recommend it to my friends, not to all but I guide myself according to the personal likes of the person that I want to recommend the book and I only have one reading policy, just one simple rule: the book must be returned in the same conditions that I lent it.

No comments: