Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

on-Dahl_ Ten dull, unworthy stories


                       SAMPLE_ 005_  

Ten short stories, ten dull, unworthy stories  
 by Carlos O.

Almost everybody has read one book written by the world known British novelist Roald Dahl. Personally, I have read several books written by him, such as Matilda, The Witches and George’s Marvelous Medicine, all of them in English, but I feel disappointed at this compilation of non-sense short stories. 
As a start, I would say that I didn’t like the book because it was disconcerting and blurring to read although it is a rather short book. As far I am concerned, this compilation seems to have been written  by an amateur in the art of writing, it doesn’t seem a book written by Dahl that is why I am disappointed, I have grown up reading his books and I feel that this book doesn’t reflect the author’s witty and sarcastic humor. 
Secondly, from my point of view the stories were very plain and boring, many of them try to be funny but they fail badly trying to achieve some sense of humor, personally several times I didn’t catch the jokes at the ending of almost all of the stories. Even some stories have “black humor”, which I found a bit disrespectful and impolite considering the importance of the author. Moreover It seems as the author tried to make fun of English rural society stigmatizing them as rude, ultra-conservative and foolish. American characters are also portrayed as rude, vain and disingenuous. 
Thirdly, I think that the “lessons” that each story tries to teach us at the end of each chapter are no longer in vogue, many of the situations explained at the stories were partially outdated nowadays because the main plot of every story happened during the 50s (even before ... Elvis Presley). 
Finally,  a warning to anybody who has thought of buying this book candidly, don’t do it unless you want to be disappointed with the author if you have grown up with his books as it was my case, you might found reading this volume boring, dumb ... and heavy as well.













-->

No comments: