Dubbed ‘The Man of Steal’, James Freedman is widely acknowledged as one of the world’s best pickpocket entertainers, equally at home teaching the cast of Les Misérables the noble art of street theft as he is performing in front of audiences worldwide. No wonder then that his hands have been insured for £1 million.
Freedman describes himself as “the only honest pickpocket you will ever meet”, insisting that he always returns what he “steals” and never takes anything without first telling the person he’s a pickpocket.
Twice winner of The Magic Circle Close-Up Magician of the Year award and a Gold Star member of The Inner Magic Circle, James is also a gifted magician & illusionist and an expert in the art of persuasion. Fusing his considerable performance skills with his knowledge of business (he once worked as a chartered surveyor) he is in great demand as an advisor, speaker and educator.
Freedman’s five tips for avoiding pickpockets:
1. Carry your Oyster card or travel ticket separately to avoid flashing your wallet or purse unnecessarily.
2. Don’t stand near the doors on a bus or train. These are prime spots for pickpockets.
3. Pickpockets often hang around near “Beware of Pickpockets” signs and then watch people instinctively tap their pockets, to pinpoint the valuables.
4. Don’t use the same PIN for all your bank cards and your phone.
5. Don’t keep your driving licence with your credit cards. Losing your cards is bad enough without giving the thief your address, full name and date of birth too.
FOR A TASTE OF LOCAL PRODUCE, CHECK KM.0 PRODUCTIONS