Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Mark Grist 2018- Alchemist - a poem and a punishment:



To go back to this dark 

atmosphere of

 R. Dahl's characters.... 


you may also read 

some negative criticism

 to his work... here





Mark Grist   


 Alchemist: A Poem about a Mistake



            TASK1.  Listen to the poem below 
                           and assess the final punishment.


      TASK2.   Read the script provided in the automatic captions
 and deal with the punctuation of one of the  6 passages.





Oct 3, 2018

hERE IS a poem for National Poetry day  2018. 
Hope you like it


·        
  •        my stomach flipped thinking of downing vinegar.. oof!
  •       Chapter 5: Solution- made me chuckle

  •                    Chapter 1.   The confesion
  •       01:23   Chapter 2.   Desire
  •       02:22    Chapter 3.   Action
  •       03:05   Chapter 4.   Failure
  •       04:47   Chapter 5.   The solution
  •       06:19   Chapter  6.   Punishment


      TASK2.   Read the script provided in the automatic captions
 and deal with the punctuation of one of the  6 passages




here's a confession

Chapter 1.   The confesion

When I was 7, 
harbored a rather unusual obsession.
Deep in the night when my parents both slept,
I would creep to the kitchen ...
find bottles,
 and neckin the sauces, the syrups 
Oh, how I loved it! 
Sneaking supplies from the back of the cupboard. 
conquerer, plunderer, condiment pillager.

My favorite thing to drink...
 it was vinegar.
And glug, glug, glug, glug, I would
secretly chug upon each of those bottles.
Guzzle them up. Yes.
Cooking oil was nasty, Tabasco was rough,
but these were experiments and 
I wasn't fuss and with each one I sampled 
I felt a bit braver,  a little bit bolder.

As I nicked them all down 
but really my eye was 
on something much greater :
a bottle that shimmered brighter... and pinker.

The liquid within was so vibrant ... and loud.
What I wanted was sat 
far off from the kitchen 
the sweetest of visions, ...
 it was my dad's mouthwash.






01:23   Chapter 2.   Desire

oh how it sat there
so shiny so pink from high on its throne
looking down on the sink each night I
would brush on my teeth and I'd wonder
what does it taste like and asking my
mother if tonight was the night that I
could try some she'd shake her head
saying oh you're still much too young
now knowing the things I had secretly
drunk all these rules and concern seemed
a little bit dumb oh it's only for
adults mouthwash is dangerous and look
how my father he'd carefully take it all
measured out in some small little cap I would certainly
swig on it braver than that so one fine
night I headed to bed excited elated
already quite proud because tonight
was the night I would do something great
tonight was the night I was drinking
that mouthwash



02:22    Chapter 3.   Action
I had a small nap early that evening so
wide awake and my parents both sleeping
I crept out of bed I crept to the door I
crept to the bathroom looked up and saw
that bottle
oh goodness how brightly it Shawn as
bright as the fleece that the argonauts
one and the moon high above me not
making a sound I climbed on the sink and
pulling it down I stood with it held in
both of my hands this was my moment this
was my chance i undid the lid and
tilting it up I went glug glug glug ride
it hurt and it stung   





 03:05   Chapter 4.   Failure
and I yelped and
gassed as if in slow motion the bottle
it dropped and lashings of potion in
great whopping arks flew out I stood
stunned the bottle then hitting the
floor with a dunk and I dropped down to her tripping hands that were shaken I grabbed for the bottle held it dismayed
it was practically empty down to the
dregs most of it soaked in the bath mat instead and my throat it was stinging my
eyes were now brimming with tears when
they found out I knew they'd be livid
because when I was a child if he did something rotten the punishment was that
you got a smacked bottom and I didn't
want one I wiped both my eyes and I
tried to get what I could back up inside
but there wasn't much more than some drops to be found so I picked up the bat
mat began squeezing it out but now there
was just some grey bits therefore in the bottle there wasn't much there what there was and looked awful
again the tears came and I thought of my dad and the imminent burn on my bum of that smack I was really in trouble I was
out for the count but what if somehow
I could make a new mouthwash it just replaced what was lost with the same pinkish glow I could balance it back my
dad wouldn't know I look around the bathroom surveying the bottles and
things of course this is doable I'll
take some of these things and I'll mix
them together who knows perhaps I could make something that tastes even better


04:47 Chapter 5.   The solution
so first off I took toothpaste
you know it's minty it's fresh it goes
in your mouth I picked up the tube began squeezing it out then I added some water
measured and thorough eye drops for texture
cow poll for color then I moved on to
the rest of the bathroom it got a bit
weird that added some shampoo and some shower gel - it wasn't like it was
planned I really regretted the bit of
bubble bath because it was now really bubbly and it still wasn't complete so with things looking drastic I added some
bleach and now if I'm honest it didn't
look right there were great big yellow
blobs and even the pink bits looked a
bit odd but I found if I took it and
shook it together it looked kind of
alright for a couple of seconds so I
shook it and balanced it turned and I
scuttled on back to my bed I hid under the covers and for hours that night I lay awake in my bed knowing that when my dad drinks it he'll drop down dead and
knowing the trouble I'd be in for owning
up my head in this work I just wasn't
sure which of those two things was worse
so I lay there and cried and I shivered
and bored until suddenly it was sunlight
I woke up all sprawled on the floor and
I turned and looked on with dread
my parents were stood at the end of the be





06:19   Chapter  6.   Punishment

ma have you done something? my father
then asked I could see the bottle held
tight in his grasp it was now sort of
green with these yellow blobs - so I
cried out I'm sorry dad I think I've
just murdered you you've done what my
dad said I've killed you I babbled they
looked at me looking really quite
baffled you've not killed him my mum
said don't be ridiculous this looks like
some kind of poison no way that he's
drinking it there there it's all right
there's no need to panic just tell us
what happened
they were both understanding and they
were both really kind and they gave me a
hug and they said that they thought I'd
been punished enough so I saved up my
pocket money and I paid for a
replacement my bottom when unsnapped
 I'd somehow escaped it reborn and forgiven a
true prodigal son and I only ever stole
condiments from that morning on.




No comments: