Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

a hard time is a-gonna fall again with proverbial wisdom





 1. And three proverbs for starters:

  "Time will consume all things including itself."
                                           – Indian proverb
  "Time will heal time’s wounds."
                                        – French proverb

  "Man measures time and time measures man."
                                                                                         – Italian proverb




2. A handful of sundry other proverbs:
  A stitch in time saves nine
      Time is everything
It’s about time.
      No time like the present. 
Could you spare some time? 
     Time’s a-wasting!
       "I’m having the time of my life." 


3 - song           A hard rain's  a-gonna fall

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son? Oh, what did you see, my darling young one? And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son? Who did you meet, my darling young one?
 Oh, what’ll you do now, my darling young one? 
 I’m a-goin’ back out ’fore the rain starts a-fallin’ .... I’ll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest ..... Where the people are many and their hands are all empty ..... Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters.

BOB DYLAN -a 1963 radio interview:
 it's just a hard rain. It isn't the fallout rain. I mean some sort of end that's just gotta happen ... In the last verse, when I say, "the pellets of poison are flooding the waters," that means all the lies that people get told on their radios and in their newspapers
       

  • the literal definition of rain is ignored
  • while a more metaphorical definition is invoked

 To get some Context....  here

CODA:  Dylan told  music writer Nat Hentoff:
  •   He wrote “A Hard Rain” under some dread at the time.  [September '62]
  • “Every line in it [i.e. ‘Hard Rain’] is actually the start of a whole new song. But when I wrote it, I thought I wouldn’t have enough time alive to write all those songs so I put all I could into this one.”
AND  a balance on greed:  ... here




  4.  Wisdom from the east:
      A haiku from the rising sun"A petal falls.    An instant.     An age."
A yellow rose petals
 drop one-by-one in silence
roar of a waterfall
              – Basho (haiku
 (Japanese poet 17th century)



Follow-up:

No comments: