Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Those wonders, the power of the reflective learner


Those reflective learners 


 who ponder their strategies

 and revise them


ESSAY  by    J  Enrique B  





for a handful of similar stuff ... here

             A reflective learner ponders about the power of spoken words



Throughout this academical year, I've tried to improve my oral skills by speaking aloud and recording myself, mainly. Analysing my own speech has been one of my best allies in the task of correcting an endless number of personal mistakes related to intonation and stress patterns.
In general terms, transcribing and improving a spontaneous speech before recording myself back ( like in class-life activities  "My Leisure time", "Silly questions about Literature" or "Those years") have been very useful tasks, particularly to do better some aspects related to fluency.

Working on dialogues of different films Lethal weapon, French kiss, The accidental tourist - has been a new task for me. I've felt it particularly interesting to practise "real English", that includes repetition of words as well as false starts, noises, intonation problems and, of course, pronunciation. But in the wrong side, ther is always an dark side, it is the fact that you have to spend a lot of time only for preparing the text, that, moreover, has to be read in its own atmosphere, alone, quiet.

Practising "theoretical sounds" (Oxford  Headway Upper Intermediate Pronunciation) is a quite boring activity, although I have to reckon that after training the different tones a lot of times, I have made improvements in the quality of the sounds, but even in this way, some of them are a hopeless question. Up to now I have included a list of them in the section "Working with the text book”). In this part of my work I've added some conversations only for working on specific sounds that can be practised following our  parallel reading technique.

I've met up different people only with the purpose of improving in a practical way my oral skills but, by different reasons our relationships has been a sort of minefield. Perhaps, we have not been on the same wavelength or our aims were not in harmony.

I've realized I've brushed up in listening skills throughout this year, particularly by avoiding the wish of understanding all the words of the dialogues. Writing the phrases that you can identify while you are listening to people, in a sort of quick-writing, is a recommendable experience. It is a hard activity but it has proven to be the most valuable one in the end.

When I've started feeling stuck in a kind of plateau, films, comics - see Tintin's adventures in Writing File - and music - Frank Sinatra's songs were the first ones that I could understand effortlessly - have been my loyal friends albeit being done My way. Listening again old records, nostalgic bits and pieces  you had worked thru in the past,  a constructive task that can encourage you in the worst moments. Going down yourself is useless.

I've been aware of the fact that working with tapes and doing regularly both parallel reading and a varied range Listening tasks –even self-dictation with a clip of a commercial!- are invaluable activities, mainly as instruments of improving aspects like rhythm, imitation or emphasis. Step by step, you can discover new discourse markers or new ways of encouraging the speakers. I've worked these topics with Listening Advanced -Oxford, CAE course cassettes and our Masterclass cassettes.

No comments: